Friday, January 2, 2015

Bisbee, Arizona Shrines Hike December 29, 2014


When I visited Bisbee as a teenager I remember being enamored with its beauty. As a result, I explored its many streets and staircases. What stayed with me after the visit were the shrines off of OK Street on a ridge top in the Mule Mountains. I got the chance to revisit the shrines of Bisbee when Tara and I visited the town in late December. The hike is short but steep in parts. To get to the shrines walk up Brewery Gulch to the end of Ok Street/ An unsigned trail takes hikers to the top of an unnamed ridge, From there follow the steep trail to the large wooden cross. The main shrine, near the wooden cross, was built and maintained by Adolfo and Maria Vazquez in 1980. (Information from www,dogsnotonmywindshield.blogspot.com).  Since then many different families have created their own memorials for loved ones. Near the wooden cross I observed a fire pit and garbage can so this area is undoubtedly popular during the summer. What was distressing is I also saw some vandalized memorials and trash in area. I departed the shrines then walked to a higher location for a better view south as well as the open pits. Enjoy my photographs.

                             A small memorial


                                        The main shrine on the hill




                       View south from higher vantage point. If you look closely you can see the extensive mining ruins.

No comments:

Post a Comment