Thursday, August 11, 2011

Overland lake to North Furlong 8/7/2011

Looking toward the Ruby Dome with Lupine in foreground

I woke up at 5:15am after some stargazing and a good nights sleep. I quickly packed up my camp and by 6:40 am I was ready to start hiking. Today would be my longest day 13 miles with a long stretch of no water. The day before I agreed to hike with a backpacking group from the eastern United States. We started off descending 500 feet into the Overland Creek drainage. After crossing our last water source we ascended about 2,000 feet to the crest approximately 10,300 feet in elevation. The major part of the day was spent descending in and out of the uppper parts of the Long Canyon drainages. To exit the Long Canyon area the trail ascended to two small divides of 10,600 and 10,700 feet. From the beginning of the day the views were incredible and stayed unbelievable for the whole day. It is impossible to convey what it is like to hike on top of the world. Before descending into the North Furlong drainage we switchbacked up to a highpoint on the RCT of 10,900 feet on Wines Peak. I reached my destination at 3:30 pm and immediately ate a big lunch and lay down exhausted. I hiked in front of the Tennessee group all day and they arrived an hour later. That night I camped in the upper part of the drainage. For my final dinner in the wilderness I ate Lasagna with meat sause. I observed the stars for a while and then fell asleep.

On top of the world; looking north from Wines Peak




Looking south east from trail

Looking south from Wines Peak


The view hiking out of the Overland drainage

High country in the Ruby Mountains
Waterfall in the Overland drainage


Early morning sun at Overland Lake



















No comments:

Post a Comment