Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Garwood Trail Loop Saguaro National Park East March 17, 2014

                    Sunflowers

If I start hiking later in the day the Cactus Forest of Saguaro National Park East is one of my favorite places to hike It is possible to create a loop of five miles or a longer day hike of around 10 miles. On Monday I reached the Douglas Spring trail head around 12:40 pm. My objective was a hike around six miles. I accomplished this by hiking mostly on the Garwood, Wildhorse, Carrillo, Pink Hill and Loma Verde trails. Today the sun was definitely intense and I was glad I had three liters of water. Today I met a guy who actually enjoys hiking during the hottest period of the day. He is the first hiker I have ever met who enjoys hiking in 110 degree heat. Overall I hiked around 6.5 miles with minimal elevation gain. If you are looking for more elevation gain I would stay on the Douglas Spring Trail and hike either the Carrillo or Three Tank Trails.

                                Ocotillo

                         Saguaros

                                           Blooming Ocotillo

No comments:

Post a Comment